What is Difference between B.Sc. Math and B.Sc. Stat
After passing intermediate/HSC or 12th from commerce or science, especially students who have great liking for mathematics, are always in dilemma which course to choose – stats or maths. They are more confused about the correct choice to make and wonder which will have better and lots of opportunities. So here we have compiled about both these courses, thereby helping the candidates to sort out their confusion. Both of these courses sound similar and thinking over it, one would arbitrarily think that both deals with maths but that's not the case. Both are different in their field and opportunities.
This is a degree course of three years where you learn about advanced mathematics. In this course students are inculcated with the skills and expertise in calculus, algebra and data analysis. This course also prepares your base to go for higher studies.
Oppurtunities: After this you can go for higher education such as M.sc in mathematics. Apart from these courses you can divert yourself to MCA, M.Sc IT or even MBA. To excel in this field you can also pursue Ph.D and go or lectureship in colleges and universities and even technical institutions. Apart from all this you can apply for banking sectors, financial companies, insurance companies and research centers. This subject mainly deals with learning of theoretical concepts of mathematics which can be further applied in practical field of business, social and physical sciences. Some mathematicians go to work with military intelligence to help them encrypt and decrypt code in order to give or get some useful information that is they work as cryptanalyst.
Eligibility: 12 th passed with at least 50% mark having Maths as compulsory subject.
Some top Institutes that Offers B.Sc. - Mathematics
- A.V.C. College, Mannampandal
- Nehru Gram Bharti University, Allahabad (NGBU)
- Banasthali Vidyapith - Bansthali
- Dayananda Sagar Institutions
- Bishop Kurialacherry College For Women - Kottayam
- CMS College - Kottayam
- Deva Matha College - Kuravilangad
- Directorate of Distance Education, Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai
- Ghanapriya Government Women's College - Imphal
- Government Arts College, Karur
- Government Arts College, Kumbakona
- Government College - Kottayam
- Maharaja's College, Ernakulam
- H.H The Rajah's college, Pudukkottai
- K. N. M. Govt. Arts & Science College, Kanjiramkulam Thiruvananthapuram
- K.K.T.M Govt. College, Trichur
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University - Bhopal
- Miranda House University College for Women, New Delhi
- National Degree College - Hyderabad
- Nirmala College - Muvattupuzha
- Vimala College, Trichur
- St. Xavier's College - Ranchi
- St.Thomas College - Kozhencherry
This is also a three year degree program in which the focusing subjects are permutations, combinations and probability. Here the subject also deals with data analysis, business analysis and going for surveys.
Opportunities: Statisticians are of high demand in both the public and private sectors.IIS (Indian Institute of Statististics) is the topmost institute for statistical studies. In this course one have to deal with graphs, dates, statistics, tally, and this helps to find out different surveys carried out by different organization. Statistician can go for UPSC exams and get recruited as statistical investigator. To excel in this career one can also pursue higher education by going for M.Stats after which the candidate can also apply for lectureship in different institutions. Some different sectors where a statistician can get absorbed are Statistical and Economic Bureaus, Banks and public-sector, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Institute of Applied Manpower Research (IAMR), Planning Commission, National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) and Institutions associated with socio-economic research.
Eligibility: candidate enrolling for this course must have passed 12 th with at least 50% marks.
Some top most institutes that offer B.Sc (Stats) are:
- Indian Statistical Institute - Kolkata
- Presidency University, Kolkata
- Fergusson College, Pane
- Government College for Women, Faridabad
- Hindu College, New Delhi
- Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata
- St. Xaviers College, Ahmedabad
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women (LSR), New Delhi
- Loyola College, Chennai
- St. Xavier's College, Kolkata
- Ramjas College, New Delhi
- Sibsagar College, Joysagar
- Sri Sarada College for Women, Perambalur
- Sri Venkateswara College (SVC), New Delhi
- St. Joseph's Degree & PG College, Hyderabad